Moving Checklist for your Comox Valley Home
Congratulations! You've sold your home. Moving from one place to another, sometimes community to another, is both a time of great excitement and great stress. Here are some tips:
- Designate one drawer or a dresser for first-night essentials (sheets, towels, toiletries, plates). Load this last, unload it first.
- Reduce your load by having a garage sale or donating to local charity beforehand.
- Pack seldom-used or out-of-season items ahead of time
- Notify friends & relatives of your move.
- If you have kids, arrange all documents for changing kid's schools
- Gather all important personal, insurance, medical and dental documents
- Arrange disconnect and re-connect of utilities and telephone service
- Transfer banking (savings accounts, personal loans) to the new location
- Go to the Post Office and submit change-of-address forms
- Start using up all of your perishable and frozen foods
- Keep your pets out of the way (or at a friends house) during loading
- Pack your seldom used things in advance (like a waffle iron)
- Make sure you declare your valuables with the moving company
- Pack heavy items in small boxes, light items in larger boxes
- Label each box by room and items
- Remove bulbs from lamps
- Put pictures in boxes between blankets or towels for protection
- Stack plates and record albums on end vertically, not flat and stacked
- Dispose of flammable liquids
- Pick up dry-cleaning
- Clean all appliances, including the oven. Defrost the fridge 24 hours before you plan to leave
- After cleaning the refrigerator, put a half-cup of coffee grinds or baking soda in a sock to keep it smelling fresh
- Wash interior and exterior kitchen and bathroom cabinets
- Wash window sills and glass
- Wash bathroom mirrors
- Clean toilet and showers/tubs
- Vacuum, sweep & mop throughout
- This is a good time to have your rugs professionally cleaned
- Check all shelves, closets and cabinets for items
- Before the van leaves for your destination, give the driver a phone number where you can be reached
- Write down your move Registration Number in case you have any questions.
- Wrap plants well for cold-weather moving (layers of cleaner bags are great). In hot weather, keep them away from windows and exterior walls of vans.